Regional Adviser Health (MCH), P-5, Kathmandu, Nepal, #43394
Job no: 501481
Work type: Fixed Term Staff
Categories: Health, P-5
Pay Grade: P-5
Purpose of the Position
The Regional Health Adviser reports to the Deputy Regional Director for general guidance and direction. The Adviser serves as an authoritative and expert adviser to the Regional Director/Deputy Regional Director, the Regional Management Team, Country Offices and Government institutions/officials in the region on strategic planning, approaches, best practices and knowledge on maternal, neonatal and child health (MNCH) related issues to support program development planning, implementation, management and capacity building of stakeholders to achieve concrete and sustainable results. The adviser also serves as the main conduit for technical and strategic communication between NYHQ Health section/regional office and country office chiefs of health.
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks:
Regional advisory services and technical support on strategic planning/discussion
• Advise key national government officials, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners on policies, strategies, approaches and best practices on health to support program development planning, management, implementation and delivery of results.
• Participate in regional/country program planning, preparation and review to provide advice on formulation, design, management, enhancement and communication of health programs including setting priorities and results-based management goals,
• Participate in regional key events and strategic discussions to influence policy discussions and agenda setting to promote health and development issues especially in the areas of maternal, neonatal and child survival and gender.
Support to country office on program development and planning
• Collaborate with Regional Management/Country Office team throughout all stages of health programming to provide technical support in program preparation, implementation and monitoring for results, particularly on maternal, neonatal and child health.
• Provide policy guidance and technical support to national external partners/internal colleagues to develop national policies/strategies for UNICEF assisted programs including scaling up health programs.
• Contribute to the planning and conduct/update of situation analysis to establish a comprehensive/updated health/economic/social/political data and indicators for program planning and management. Keep abreast of national/regional/global development trends and priorities to determine strategies, approaches and priorities for programming to address the regional country’s health needs.
• Provide technical advice to facilitate the preparation of the Country Office health program recommendation and related documentation and ensure alignment of programs goals with the overall UNICEF’s Strategic Plans and regional strategies.
• Consult and collaborate with internal and external colleagues and partners to provide technical guidance and operational support on program planning, management and implementation and to promote synergy, integration, coherence and harmonization of programs/projects initiatives with UNICEF Strategic Plans and priorities.
• Provide the oversight role at the regional level on MNCH, Immunization and Polio eradication, and other identified areas of convergent programming with other sectors, including HIV-AIDS, Nutrition, Hygiene and Sanitation, Girls education, Adolescent health and Social Policy and Protection.
Regional program monitoring and assessment
• Collaborate with HQ Advisers, Regional/Country Monitoring and Evaluation Adviser/Officers to establish benchmarks, performance indicators and other UNICEF/UN system indicators and measurement to assess/strengthen performance accountability, coherence and delivery of concrete and sustainable results in health programs.
• Participate in major monitoring and evaluation exercises, program reviews and annual sector reviews with government and other counterparts to assess progress and to determine required action/interventions to achieve results.
• Assess COs monitoring and evaluation reports to identify gaps, strengths/weaknesses in program and management, identify lessons learned and use knowledge gained for development planning and timely intervention to achieve goals.
• Submit assessments on health programs in country offices highlighting critical issues and suggestions for enhancing performance and delivery of sustainable results
Advocacy, networking and partnership building
• Build and strengthen strategic partnerships with global/regional/country office health sector government counterparts, global institutions/partners/donors and academia through active networking, advocacy and effective communication of UNICEF mission, goals and programs and resource mobilizations needs.
• Collaborate with/advise country offices in the region to develop strategies and implementation plans and activities for maximum communication impact and outreach to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and support fund raising for UNICEF and Country Office health programs (maternal, neonatal and child survival and other related health issues).
• Participate and/or represent UNICEF (as delegated/designated) in key events/meetings and in inter-agency (UNCT) discussions and planning on health and related issues to ensure organizational position, interests and priorities are fully considered and integrated in the UNDAF process in development planning and agenda setting. Collaborate with regional inter-agency partners/colleagues UNDAF planning and preparation of health programs/projects.
Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
• Promote critical thinking and innovative approaches and good practices in the region for sustainable maternal, neonatal and child health programs/projects initiatives.
• Keep abreast, research, benchmark and implement best and cutting edge practices in the region’s health management and information systems. Institutionalize and share best practices and knowledge learned.
• Lead and/or develop policies and procedures and introduce innovation and best practices to ensure optimum efficiency and efficacy of sustainable programs and projects.
• Lead/plan/implement capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders to promote sustainable results on health related programs/projects.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
• A Medical or Advanced University Degree in public health, pediatric health, family health, health research, global/international health, health policy and/or management, environmental health sciences, biostatistics, socio-medical, health education, epidemiology or other health related sciences is required.
• A minimum of 10 years of professional experience in public health planning and management and/or in relevant areas of maternal and neonatal health care, health emergency/humanitarian preparedness, at the international level some of which preferably in a developing country is required. Relevant experience in health program/project development and management in any UN system agency or organization is an asset.
• Fluency in English (written and verbal) is required. Knowledge of an additional UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish) or the local language of the duty station is an asset.
Last date to apply: Dec 23 2016
HOW TO APPLY