Organization: UN Women
UN Women: Programme Analyst, Governance (EVAW and Gender Statistics)- Open for Nepali nationals only
Location : Kathmandu, NEPAL
Application Deadline : 24-May-18 (Midnight New York, USA)
Type of Contract : Service Contract
Post Level : SB-4
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 18-Jun-2018
Duration of Initial Contract : One year (with possibility of extension)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
In Nepal, UN Women focuses on strengthening women’s voice, agency and leadership across sectors to advance women’s rights, provide space for women’s meaningful participation and contribute to tangible differences in their lives. In prioritizing inclusive governance UN Women Nepal seeks to advance women’s political empowerment and leadership and enhance women’s access to justice in Nepal’s federal structure. Towards this goal UN Women will work with elected officials, civil servants and citizens at all levels. The approach will extend beyond policy and law reform, to implementation and monitoring of policies, supporting the development of plans and budgets, enhancing the capacity of key government officials, strengthening capacity for gender statistics and promoting gender equality and social inclusion in local governance. In addition, UN Women will work together with excluded groups to support their active participation and enable their voices to be heard. Throughout this work, UN Women seeks to contribute to transforming discriminatory social norms and eliminating harmful practices and behaviours, including violence against women.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Programme Specialist- Inclusive Governance and Leadership, and in close collaboration with the Programme Specialist Gender Statistics, the Programme Analyst contributes to the effective management of UN Women governance programmes, with particular focus on ending violence against women (EVAW) and supporting capacities and processes for statistics and reporting on VAW and other SDG gender indicators. The Programme Analyst provides substantive inputs to programme design, formulation, implementation and evaluation. S/he guides and facilitates the delivery of UN Women programmes by monitoring results achieved during implementation and ensuring appropriate application of systems and procedures and develops enhancements if necessary. She/he works in close collaboration with the programme and operations team, UN Women HQ staff, Government officials, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women programme implementation under portfolio.
Contribute technically to the development of programme strategies in the area of governance, with particular focus on ending violence against women and gender statistics
• Provide substantive inputs to the design and formulation of programme/ project proposals and initiatives;
• Identify areas for support and intervention related to the programme.
Provide substantive technical support to the implementation and management of the governance programme, with focus on ending violence against women and gender statistics
• Provide technical inputs to the annual workplan and budget;
• Lead the implementation of programme activities;
• Lead the coordination of the call/request for proposals, including the organization of technical review committees, and capacity assessment of partners;
• Review, coordinate and monitor the submission of implementing partner financial and narrative reports;
• Train partners on Results Based Management and monitor implementation.
Provide technical assistance and capacity development to project/programme partners
• Coordinate and provide technical support in the implementation of programme activities;
• Maintain relationships with national partners to support implementation and expansion of the governance programming in the area of gender statistics and ending violence against women;
• Identify opportunities for capacity building of partners and facilitate technical/ programming support and trainings to partners, as needed.
Provide technical inputs to the monitoring and reporting of the programme/ project
• Monitor progress of implementation of activities and finances using results based management tools;
• Draft reports on monitoring missions, programme results s, outputs and outcomes;
• Provide substantive inputs to the preparation of donor and UN Women reports.
Provide substantive technical inputs to the management of people and finances of gender statistics and EVAW programmes
• Monitor budget implementation and make budget re-alignments/ revisions, as necessary;
• Provide substantive inputs to financial reports;
• Support and supervise interns, volunteers or consultants as requested by the Programme Specialist.
Provide substantive inputs to building partnerships and resource mobilization strategie
• Analyze donor trends, particularly on EVAW and gender statistics and maintain information and databases;
• Organize and support resource mobilization activities to raise funds for EVAW and gender statistics and support resource mobilization for inclusive governance. Provide substantive inputs to resource mobilization strategies;
• Prepare relevant documentation such as project summaries, conference papers, briefing notes, speeches, and donor profiles;
• Organize and participate in donor meetings and public information events, as delegated.
Provide technical support to inter-agency coordination on EVAW and gender statistics to achieve coherence and alignment of UN Women programmes with other partners in the country
• Provide substantive technical support to the Representative, Deputy Representative and Programme Specialist on inter-agency coordination related activities by drafting background reports and briefs.
Provide substantive inputs to advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts
• Develop background documents, briefs and presentations related to inclusive governance with particular responsibility for EVAW and gender statistics;
• Coordinate and organize advocacy campaigns, events, trainings, workshops and knowledge products;
• Coordinate the development of knowledge management methodologies, and products on gender statistics and ending violence against women.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS:
• Timely and quality substantive inputs programme strategies and activities;
• Timely and quality substantive inputs to workplans and budgets;
• Adherence to UN Women standards and rules;
• Timely monitoring and tracking of programme results and finances;
• Positive and effective relationship with partners and stakeholders;
• Timely and effective organization of events;
• Quality of knowledge and advocacy products.
• Respect for Diversity
• Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
• Creative Problem Solving
• Effective Communication
• Inclusive Collaboration
• Stakeholder Engagement
• Leading by Example
• Good programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills
• Good knowledge of Results Based Management
• Ability to gather and interpret data, reach logical conclusions and present findings and recommendations
• Good analytical skills
• Good knowledge of violence against women
• Ability to work with groups and individuals involved in policy making, research, statistics and reporting
• Ability to identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising
Required Skills and Experience
• Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, human rights, gender/women’s studies, international development, or a related field is required.
• At least 5 years of progressively responsible work experience in development programme/project implementation, coordination, monitoring and evaluation, donor reporting and capacity building;
• Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors;
• Experience in ending violence against women is a significant asset;
• Experience in inclusive governance strategies or programming is an asset.
• Fluency in written and spoken English and Nepali is required;
• Knowledge of another UN official working language is an asset.
Last date to apply: 24 May 2018