Re-advertised: Internal/External Vacancy Notice: Communication for Development Officer, NOB – Nepalgunj, Province 6 & 7, Fixed-term (Open for Nationals of Nepal ONLY)
Job no: 517475
Position type: Fixed Term Staff
Department/Office: Nepalgunj, Nepal
Categories: Communication for Development (C4D), NO-2
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child,
The Communication for Development Officer will provide technical and operational support to the C4D Specialist and internal colleagues by administering, implementing, monitoring and/or evaluating a variety of C4D initiatives and activities to promote community engagement and participation, and measureable behavioral and social change/mobilization, requiring the application of technical and theoretical skills and thorough knowledge of organizational goals, rules, regulations, policies and procedures to complete tasks
How can you make a difference?
Support to strategy design and development of C4D activities
• Research and/or participate in conducting comprehensive C4D situation analysis of social, communication, cultural, economic and political issues in the country/region. Collect and synthesize qualitative and quantitative information and data to support the establishment of comprehensive and evidence-based information for developing and planning the C4D component of the Country Program of Cooperation (and UNDAF).
• Collect, synthesize, draft and/or organize materials and related documentations for evidence-based C4D strategies and plans (as a component of the CO and/or UNDAF Programs) to ensure optimum impact, scale and sustainability of achievements/results.
• Assess, select and/or recommend appropriate information and materials for C4D initiatives verifying accuracy and quality for dissemination.
• Monitor and assess the impact of C4D strategies and activities on the CO and UNICEF goals to achieve measureable behavioral and social change resulting in the improvement of children’s rights and wellbeing. Submit qualitative report/synthesis of results for development planning and improvement
Support to the implementation of C4D activities
• Collaborate and/or consult with internal and external partners to provide operational and technical support to research, develop, and produce evidence-based strategies and test, produce and use quality C4D materials and/or organize events and activities to ensure community engagement and participation, and maximum outreach and impact on behavioral and social change .
• Provide technical, administrative and logistical support and background materials to carry out C4D strategies and activities and recommend operational strategies, approaches, plans, methods and procedures to ensure community engagement and participation, and optimum outreach and impact.
• Assess and recommend potential contacts, networks, resources and multiple/social/digital media and tools to support maximum impact and outreach of C4D initiatives.
• Follow up and monitor the production of C4D materials to ensure technical quality, consistency and relevancy of communications materials that are developed, produced and disseminated to target audience (e.g. individuals, communities, government officials, partners, media etc).
• Collect, assess and organize information for budget planning and management of program funds and prepare documentations and related materials for financial plan for C4D initiatives. Monitor/track the use of resources as planned and verify compliance with organizational guidelines, rules and regulations and standards of ethics and transparency
Advocacy, networking and partnership building
• Build and maintain partnerships through networking and proactive collaboration with national and international civil society organisations, community groups, leaders and other critical partners in the community and civil society to reinforce cooperation through engagement, empowerment and self determination and to pursue opportunities for greater advocacy to promote UNICEF mission and goals for child rights, social equity and inclusiveness.
• Collaborate with internal global/regional communication partners to harmonize, link and/or coordinate messaging to enhance C4D outreach and contribution to programmatic outcomes.
Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
• Institutionalize/share best practices and knowledge learned/products with global/local partners and stakeholders to build capacity of practitioners/users, and disseminate products to key audiences including partners and donors.
• Support the organization, administration and implement capacity building initiatives, including partnerships with training and academic institutions, to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders/partners across programme sectors in C4D planning, implementation and evaluation in support of programs/projects. Develop training materials for training activities, and revise and update them as necessary
To qualify as a champion for every child you will have…
• A university degree in social and behavioral science, sociology, anthropology, psychology, education, communication, public relations or other related social science field is required.
• A minimum of two years of relevant professional experience in areas of social development program planning, communications and public advocacy and/or related areas at the international and/or large organization some of which preferably were served in a developing country is required
• Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
• Fluency in English and Nepali is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The technical competencies required for this post are….
• Formulating strategies/concepts (I)
• Relating and networking (I)
• Persuading and influencing (I)
• Applying technical expertise (I)
• Learning and researching (II)
• Planning and organizing (II)
Last date to apply: 21 November 2018